I have many friends of many races, stripes, faiths, etc. My page will not be a forum for arguments. I already know the world is screwed up. I don’t need to come home from a long day at work, log on expecting a few laughs, and walk into a conversational wood chipper.
Don’t like the current president or some other politician (and that’s regardless of WHO sits in office today or in the coming years)? Keep it off my page. Got some hot button on race or sexual politics? Don’t press that button here. Want to just gripe, bitch, or moan about something? I’ve got enough negativity I exorcise daily; I don’t need anymore. I am not a hippie, and I don’t believe that holding hands and singing “Kumbaya” is going to change everything. I do, however, pick the causes I champion, and I tend to watch what I say in social media. As my mother says, everybody doesn’t have to hear what I think all the time. Want to know what I think? Buy and read my books.
Here’s what I believe:
– Race has us ALL effed up in this country because there is a legacy of racism we’re still dealing with. Racism is VERY real and still exists. However, not everyone is racist.
– I hate to admit it, but more BLACK people kill BLACK people in my hometown than any interracial crime of the same sort. That’s sad and should be protested and CHANGED. I’m not saying there is no outrage when there is a racist lynching (because there IS!); I’m saying that it’s outrageous that we’ve come to accept black-on-black crime as the norm.
– Some police officers abuse their authority, just as do some priests. That doesn’t mean all cops or religious leaders are abusive. Though I need to work on my cussing and snarky commentary, a Christian, too. Oh yeah, and I’m VERY proud to be Black. I’m a veteran. And I like guns.
– I do not hate any group of people, though I do believe that religious extremism, just as any process espousing degradation, systematic sexism, ritualistic murder, terrorism, and the like needs to be CRUSHED. And it’s not just the followers of Islam who are taking things to the extreme. Don’t forget, most Klanners call themselves Christian, and they’ve waged a terror campaign for over 200 years…
– I am not gay and couldn’t care less whether or not homosexuals are allowed to marry. From where I’m sitting, we heterosexuals, with our 51% divorce rate don’t have it together in that arena, either. I don’t understand homosexuality, but I also don’t pay the bills of, and therefore have no say over two consenting adults.
– I don’t care which political party you back. The older I get, the more I want to quote the Chuck D line: “…Neither party is mine / not the jackass nor the elephant…”
– I like making jokes about women, just as I do about the stupid things we men do. When I use the term “bytchez”, it has nothing to do with gender and is for the purpose of amusement, hence the misspelling. I do not believe in disrespecting women, no matter what the cause.
– Because of where I grew up, I know that TRUE thug life is a downward spiral. Ever had real-life heroin-addicted zombies hanging around the staircase of your building, trying to score another hit from the apartment upstairs? Ever seen the corpse of a woman who’d been murdered by her pimp lie in a hall for days before being retrieved? Ever had a neighbor who raped his girlfriend’s infant daughter, then threw her out of the 3rd floor window to her death? THAT’S thug life. I’ve seen and experienced a lot, so anyone trying to be or look like a thug (insert sagging pants here) has no conversation for me. I enjoy videos that poke fun at what thug life is (i.e., a racoon stealing food from cats; a smart-ass kid making a snarky comment when in the Scared Straight program).
I could go on and on, but you get my drift. I’m down for speaking out against stuff upon which we can all generally agree: child abuse; rape; domestic violence; animal neglect… But keep even those topics down to a dull roar on my page. I come here to chill, relax, share some positive ideas, and have a few laughs. I’ll leave the headaches for my workday (and there aren’t many there, because I have a job I enjoy).
I don’t mind if you like this post. I don’t mind if you make positive commentary and it sparks a healthy exchange of ideas. However, please do NOT share this, as these are MY views. If you want to use it as a template for your own post, feel free.